Get your questions answered! Free stuff is at the heart of American greatness ( :

Get your questions answered!  Free stuff is at the heart of American greatness  ( : | FREE: all your non-personal queriesanswered til Xmas After that, standardrates will apply | image tagged in memes,change my mind,freedom of information,merry christmas | made w/ Imgflip meme maker
share
295 views, 1 upvote, Made by Heavencanwait 2 months ago memeschange my mindfreedom of informationmerry christmas
Change My Mind memeCaption this Meme
Add Meme
Post Comment
Best first
4 Comments
reply
1 up, 2m,
1 reply
Should I gamble all I have on a 1% chance of winning $100 million, or a 99% chance of winning $1 million?
reply
1 up, 2m,
1 reply
well that's a fine question, lass. i commend you on your caution leading you to ask rather than steaming ahead in a devil-may-care fashion. the answer depends on a few things: 1) how much do you have? 2) how much do you owe? 3) how comfortable are you with risk?; and 4) how long before you expect to kick off?

if your net worth is 4 dollars, i recommend going for the cool million. if you are already a millionaire, i would point out that there's no obvious reason to take either risk. you already have it made in the shade. if you currently have many millions of dollars' worth of debt, a cool million won't help much, so go for the big bucks. if you're comfortable with risk, either option sounds exciting. if you're not comfortable with risk, then my answer is 'no'. your remaining life expectancy may be a key deciding factor. more people will want a piece of that $100M pie, see, and do you really want to deal with that every day for 45 years?

i hope you found this answer helpful ( :
reply
1 up, 2m,
1 reply
That's a lucid well thought out answer, It covers all the parameters one could envisage, it is somewhat unlikely I would risk one or the other so thank you but then maybe this would provoke your excellent intellect...What is the numerical solution to a physics equation about how matter changes into other matter?
reply
0 ups, 2m
i'm not sure of what you're asking now. E = mc^2 is an equation relating to changes (or differences) in mass. for example, if you broke apart four carbon-12 atoms and used the bits to assemble three oxygen-16 atoms (each of these sets contains 24 protons and 24 neutrons, so you'd have exactly the right number of bits to do it), you might expect that the three oxygens would weigh exactly the same as the four carbons. but they don't since the intranuclear forces holding the bits together are stronger in an oxygen atom, so when the oxygen atom forms, some extra energy escapes as photons. that energy comes from some of the mass of the bits, and so the mass of an oxygen atom is 'low' as compared with the simple expectation. the amount of energy is calculable from Einstein's equation since we know the precise masses of C-12 and O-16.
Flip Settings
Change My Mind memeCaption this Meme
Created with the Imgflip Meme Generator
EXTRA IMAGES ADDED: 1
  • Change My Mind
  • IMAGE DESCRIPTION:
    FREE: all your non- personal queries answered til Xmas; After that, standard rates will apply
    hotkeys: D = random, W = upvote, S = downvote, A = back
    Feedback